Thursday, July 8, 2010

I was driving home from work yesterday in the rain. In front of me I could see clear skies just up the freeway. Behind me I saw nothing but a black sky & rain beating down on the cars that followed. Above was a huge blanket of gray clouds clashing with the clearer skies ahead. I felt like I had a foot in two completely different worlds. I stepped on the gas & moved around the cars ahead of me. I wanted to get to that sunny part of town but the rain was still hitting the roof of my Explore. I was going 65 mph... rain drops beaded up on my wind shield. Then 70 mph... could ease up on using my wipers but still not out of the storm yet. Even faster at 82 mph... still nothing! The gray blanket above my car seemed to be moving at a steady 10 mph faster than I was. I got that feeling of running in place... You know that feeling when you're having a bad dream & you're trying to run away from something but you're not going anywhere? or everything keeps getting in your way.. that's what this felt like. I slowed down to a reasonable 65 mph my eyes set on the sunshine just out of my reach waiting for the storm to swallow me up. The rest of the way home I played with the radio, thought up an excuse not to go to the gym that night & made a mental list of everything I needed to do before the end of the week. Somewhere between the freeway & the entrance to me neighborhood it dawned on me that I had made it out of the storm! Everything was sunny & warm. I was so worried about how crappy it was that I was stuck in the rain that I didn't even notice that I had made it to the other side...

Wow Lesson Learned!

No comments:

Post a Comment